Wednesday, October 31, 2012

DNA Imagery Interview- Emily McBride


This coming 1st Thursday Afterhours DNA Gallery will be featuring local Santa Barbara artist Emily McBride.

Emily McBride will be showcasing a body of works a few years in the making, Santa Barbarascapes. At this show you will see many familiar, and potentially unfamiliar, scenes from an unimaginable and captivating perspective. She has studied, and continues to study, under the guidance of Buck Paulson who is famous for his 16-year run on PBS with his show, “Painting with Buck Paulson.”

Last weekend we were lucky enough to sit down with Emily for an interview.

DNA: When did you first begin your career in the arts?

Emily: I was visiting a client’s house about nine years ago, and noticed she had been painting some amazing paintings. I mentioned to my client that I was interested in pursuing art and she invited me to study with her painting group, which was lead by Buck Paulson.

DNA: Well that answers my second question. So tell me, how is it to study under Buck Paulson?

Emily: He has got great energy and always stays positive and gives constructive feedback. We get together almost weekly and paint in a group in Dave Kellams’ garage, our “studio space.” Dave is another one of the artists in our group, and he owns Cody’s Café and Mesa Café.
DNA: What do you enjoy the most about being an artist?

Emily: It’s fun to create something tangible. Creating art gives me a feeling of accomplishment and a medium to reflect upon. I also enjoy going back to a piece after I have learned new techniques and work to improve it. It’s nice to see the progression.

DNA: What do you like the least about being an artist?

Emily: Wow, these are good questions. I would say getting started. If I take too much time off from painting, I feel like a beginner, and really I always feel like a beginner. So, I guess the hardest part, or what I like the least, is starting again after taking time off.

DNA: Tell me about your creative process.

Emily: I usually start off with photos I’ve taken during times of inspiration or when I see something really great. Plein air painting doesn’t work for me. So, I paint from the images I’ve taken and I bring them into the studio with me. I always start with a layer of acrylic paint, and then do oil on top of that. Also, before the acrylic, I prime the canvas with a light pink color. Sometimes I change the color based on the painting, but it’s usually pink or something warm. It helps to give the painting an illuminated look.

DNA: That’s very interesting, how did you come up with that?

Emily: It’s another Buckism.

DNA: This is your first show in nearly three years. What allows you to have time for one now?

Emily: Well, I believe my paintings have become more detailed and involved, and a lot of them are really large, more so now than in the past. They are taking me longer to create; especially since I really only have time to paint once a week. I also wanted a new body of work for this next show, Santa Barbarascapes.

DNA: Your show is Thursday November 1st, 7-10 PM, at DNA Gallery. If there was one thing you could have your attendees take away from viewing your works, what would that be?

Emily: I would like them to leave inspired. To see the world differently, with more depth, texture, color, and with a little more beauty. I would like them ultimately to have a greater appreciation for their surroundings. I also want them to have a good time!

DNA: Thanks for your time for this interview Emily. I have no doubt that you will capture your audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment