Friday, July 3, 2009

Sailing ~ Melges 24

A crew of us went sailing today on a Melges 24 ~ and what a gorgeous Santa Barbara afternoon! We raced Wednesday in the Santa Barbara Wet Wednesday race (it will be going on every Wednesday at 5:25 p.m.) and had some 'bad air' as we were starting, so today we practiced some starts and some other moves. I'm learning a lot, and there's a lot to sailing .. it's a whole other set of vocabulary! Seeing Santa Barbara from the
water is such a beautiful sight to see .. it should be a requirement for both locals and visitors. I should start taking my clients out sailing who are new to Santa Barbara, and then they would never want to leave!

Today was really windy, and luckily we only had one man overboard (Ron) as we practiced our moves, and Ron is a world-class sailor with 48 years of sailing experience, so that was pretty funny. We were at a fast speed, and I was amazed .. somehow Ron held onto the boat with one hand and was dragging along under water .. and then was able to pull himself back on board. I probably shouldn't laugh because I know that one of these days, the person overboard will probably be me.

Happy 4th of July to everyone! Enjoy the sunshine, the parade, the concerts, and the fireworks ... and remember to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment