Monday, April 26, 2010

Painting The Cover - UCSB Housing Guide




UCSB's Housing Department has requested that I paint the cover for their next Housing Guide, and I'm absolutely honored! I couldn't exactly remember the last time I was out in Isla Vista... I think I took some clients out there to look at residential income properties they wanted to purchase quite awhile ago, and I remember feeling very old...the same way I felt today! I made a trip out there at the end of the day to take some photos for material to paint. Isla Vista had that same gloomy sky hanging over it (of course the rest of Santa Barbara was bright and sunny) and the familiar Isla Vista signature scent. I decided long ago that it's a mixture of the ocean, tar, beer, and urine. That's what you get with 25,000 (+/-) students living in a square mile right on the ocean! Luckily I didn't fall off the cliff taking the photos. I took quite a few, and it brought back a lot of memories. Right now I'm leaning toward painting one of, or a combination of, the photos above, and I'm thinking of doing a Facebook vote with my fellow UCSB alumni to see which photos they like. I'll post the final results soon - the waves will get bigger and the sky will magically turn blue - Bagel Cafe anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment